Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Food Storage Beans

Everyone has those cans of beans in their food storage right? They are easier to cook than you think, and they are much more delicious than canned beans. This method works for all kinds of beans. I used pinto beans this time:

Start by soaking 2 cups of beans (about 1 pound) in 8 cups of water over night.

The next morning. Drain the beans. Then put the soaked beans in a crock pot with 6 cups of water, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 tablespoon dried onions OR half a medium onion chopped. Cook on high for 6-8 hours.

Then I take them and put them into food storage bags. Now, instead of opening a can of beans for soup or burritos, I just pull my home-made beans out of the freezer! Much more tasty, healthy (because I use a small amount of butter instead of lard), and cost effective than canned beans!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oooh! Great idea. Aren't you smart!